Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Screwtape Is Getting a Face!

I have an idea that is starting to formulate a plan. I really like the idea of exploring C.S. Lewis' world in an audio video format. I love the way that hearing a book gives you different impressions and inspires different thoughts. So what I want to do is use one of Screwtapes' letters and produce some sort of multimedia project to help emphasize an emotion or idea from that specific letter.

What I was worried about though is that this book is still under copyright and I wouldn't be able to follow through with my plans. I spent a good 20 minutes wandering through a myriad of different contact us links at the Harper Collins website trying to find out who I could ask for permission to use this text. My search was not very fruitful. Dr. Burton recommended that I contact Carl Johnson on the BYU staff who is an expert on copyright laws and ask him if it was a possibility. So I sent Mr. Johnson an email and he was very prompt in his reply. He said that if I were using just certain letters from the book that I am with in the fair use of that copyright (the link is the website that he forwarded me to for further questions and it is very good).

So I'm in the planning stages of how I am going to make Screwtape come alive and teach us all a little about being a demon.

4 comments:

  1. Funny story, I just saw Carl Johnson walk in the door (I work at the Intellectual Property Office on campus). That sounds like an interesting idea, though. What kind of multimedia project were you thinking of?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a very interesting project. When you say audio video, do you mean sound AND visual? And if so, would that make this project kind of like a remix (wink wink)? What kind of visual are you thinking of adding?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found something you might be intrested in. It is the Screwtape Letters comic book. Here is the link:
    http://robertvelarde.blogspot.com/2008/05/screwtape-letters-comic-book.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to do a narration with video on top of it that pertains to the chapter, but I don't know if I will have time until the end of the semester. My inspiration is the Mormon Messages videos on lds.org, something with that kind of feel.

    ReplyDelete