Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Feeling a Lot Sheepish

A few days ago my literature professor, Dr. Burton, wrote a post calling our class to repentence, and I felt the full weight of it. He brought up the point that he was disapointed that we didn't really analyse the literature but just looked at it from an entertainment point of view and posted how we disliked it.

One of the reasons that I feel so sheepish is that I really did enjoy the book. Yet, the review that I posted on this blog was shallow and kind of negative. My problem is that I fell into the temptation to follow the course of least resistance. It is easy to say negative things about a book superficially, but it is much more difficult (and subsequently more meaningful) to look at the ideas and characters of the book and write about those findings.

I have an admission. I like science fiction. I actually just reviewed a book called Unwind written by Neal Shushterman. You can find my review on goodreads. So I plan to do better and redeem my self and write I got from analysing the text soon, so stay tuned.

Good teachers always praise students, where great ones make them sweat from time to time. Thanks for the wake up call Dr. Burton.

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree with this post, Taylor. Well said. I too am guilty. I think the nature of most of our past experience with the Internet (viral funny videos, wasting time on Facebook, etc.), poses a challenge for us when we actually start to try to do something serious on a blog. I think all of us (though I can't speak for everyone) believe that important things CAN happen on the Internet, but it's kind of a paradigm shift for us to get used to. So far I have been impressed with everyone's blogs, but I agree we all kind of missed the boat on going in depth with the Vinge book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to your more interesting analysis of Rainbows End. By the way, you don't mention the book in this post. Remember to write each post as though no one reading it has the context of recently reading anything else you've written.

    Derrick, you make a good point. Sometimes we have to learn to take the medium more seriously.

    ReplyDelete